Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Food For Thought



Foods:
1. The restaurants in Beijing vie for a “Wow” factor unknown in DC. I went to lunch in one decorated as a temple with votive candles, music to match, and a vegetable nori roll (see above) to die for. The “Romeo and Juliet” dish was made with blood red baby beets swimming with some chestnuts and fake abalone. That one didn’t taste great but it still looked great.

2. The Peking Duck (never had it here before) we had in Beijing was not any more delicious than the Peking Duck we have in Falls Church. Except for the first bite. Dip a little piece of skin into the coarse sugar. Place in mouth. Salty! Sweet! Crunchy! Yum! The condiments not only include the usual hoisin and scallions but little cucumber batons, garlic paste, and some other unidentifiable items as well.

3. All our fast food places are in Beijing including Starbucks and more (Haagen Dazs).

4. The yuck factor I didn’t have to face: poor J. had to eat some kind of albino frog-fish. Whole. I think he just tasted it.


Thoughts:
1. The hotel in Beijing reminds me of the hotels (the Peninsula, the Mandarin) of yore in HK. I especially liked it when we first arrived both times and were whisked through Reception to register right in our suite. And I was met with a big bouquet of lilies and orchids!! Now that’s service. To say nothing of the 20 piece orchestra in the lobby playing “The Merry Widow.”

2. The old men in Beijing still bring their caged pet birds to the parks.

3. I can’t figure out what those people in Lhasa are praying for.

4. What’s with Tibet?

5. I am spoiled but at least I know it.

No comments: