Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Berit's Banana Cake

I am ecstatic at having found a crumpled old copy of this Banana Cake recipe. It is named after my Danish friend Berit who made this cake all the time in Nairobi over 20 years ago. I had thought my only copy was lost when my computer died last month. But lucky for me (and you, should you try it), here it is:

4 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c sugar
1 stick butter, softened
2 c all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder

Mash bananas and set aside. Cream eggs, vanilla, sugar and butter. Add mashed bananas and slowly incorporate remaining dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Pour into greased bundt pan. Bake at 350 for approximately 50 minutes till toothpick comes out clean.

We always made this cake with the small, sweet Kenyan bananas (at least 8 of them) which made the cake even better than it is here.

1 comment:

Scott & Meredith said...

I'm going to make this for Z next time he visits. I'll try using those tiny bananas from Mexico that are sweeter to mimic the Kenyan effect.